June 30th, 2013 “Shattered Lives” hosts, Ladyjustice and Delilah interviewed Dr. Yael Danieli on “Mass Trauma and Re-Victiminzation from a Pioneer’s Perspective.”
Dr. Danieli is the past Chair of the Alliance of NGOs on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice and was the Advisor on Victims of Terrorism for the office of the Secretary-General of the United Nations in 2011.
The interview is available as a podcast on the BlogTalkRadio.com site: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/insidelenz/2013/06/29/shattered-lives.
Some of the issues covered include:
- “A conspiracy of silence” – What is it and how does it relate to victimization?
- Blaming the victim – Examples- subtle and overt’
- How one deals with someone else’s victimization other than mass trauma?
- “The second wound” those who are not there for victims explained;
- Implied judgments internally … the “third wound;”
- Media forces regarding sensationalizing a crime;
- Conscious versus unconscious reactions;
- Learning to live with it… impact on further generations;
- A discussion of resiliency… “I’m glad you brought that up;”
- The second wound/ conspiracy of silence effects the outcome when victims are supported;
- Types of Resiliency – not letting things effect you and/or ”coping with the shatter;”
- Post Traumatic Growth-developing realizations, insights about what is important to us, changing our values as a result of trauma;
- Yael’s most recent research re Holocaust survivors and their children;
- A crowning achievement – ***Building the first program to help Nazi Holocaust survivors and their children;
- A discussion of the psychology of hope… and Holocaust survivor, terminally ill persons and POW’s … What was revealed?
- The conspiracy of silence and the second wound – WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE TRAUMA (the Aftermath) IS AS SERIOUS AS THE INITIAL TRAUMA ITSELF! Succeeding generations….
- The Survivor’s Syndrome ….precursor of post traumatic stress disorder.
- A discussion of post trauma adaptational styles.